Greetings Opera Lovers. Kennet Opera based in Newbury have announced their exciting 2018 programme. Here’s what they say…
“Our first, and very important, event of the year is an open evening at 7.30 on 14 February, at the Majendie Hall, Speen, Newbury. Members, former members, and most of all potential new members – are invited to come along and join in some great choruses, with excerpts from Verdi to G&S. Experience not needed – there’ll be expert guidance from our great new musical director Justin Bindley. We look forward to meeting you over a glass of wine and other refreshment.”
The programme this year will include
- A full-length opera performance in November at Arlington Arts, Newbury. This will be a double bill: The Zoo by Sir Arthur Sullivan and Dido and Aeneas by Purcell.
- Several concerts in towns and villages throughout the year celebrating Puccini’s 160th anniversary.
Roles for principals and chorus for the main production in November are: Characters are as follows: (Audition dates to be announced soon).
• Æsculapius Carboy (tenor)
• Thomas Brown (baritone)
• Mr. Grinder (baritone)
• Lætitia Grinder (soprano)
• Eliza Smith (mezzo-soprano)
* Chorus (lots of numbers)
Dido and Aeneas
Dido (Soprano or Mezz)
Belinda (‘Light’ Soprano)
Second Woman (Soprano or Light Soprano)
Aeneas (Tenor or Light Baritone)
Sorceress (Mezzo, Contralto, Counter Tenor or Bass)
First Witch (Mezzo)
Second Witch (Mezzo)
Spirit (Soprano or Counter Tenor)
First Sailor (Tenor) and Chorus SATB
All the best